Thursday, February 12, 2015

Writing Down the Bones - Baking a Cake

This section really stood out to me among the rest. I really liked the analogy the author used to compare one's writing or product to a cake, and the ingredients are the details of the writing. Without the correct amount of ingredients then your "cake" will not come out right, or the reader will not understand what you are trying to say. Also, having all the right ingredients plays a big role in the process as well. If certain details are left out then you wont have the "cake" you wanted and everything will not come out right.

I also liked how the author talked about having a connection with your "cake". This is because it's not just any old cake, it's YOUR cake. It's a part of you whether you like it or not. You put time and effort into it and it will represent your thoughts and ideas. I am someone who really likes to put a piece of myself into my writing and call it my own. When I put my name on a piece of paper it represents me and I stand by it. Maybe it doesn't represent everything about me, but I wrote it for a reason and want it to reflect a piece of me.

I think the reason I liked this analogy so much is because I could relate it to anything I do in my life. Sure it worked well with writing, but to me it was more than that. When you bake a cake you make a goal, prepare your steps, and work hard to get there. The ingredients are the steps along the way that you want to put into your goal to help you reach it. Nothing good comes easy and you have to keep working on it to perfect your "cake". 

No comments:

Post a Comment