Wednesday, January 14, 2015

First Poem Reading - Geology of Water

Water is a common symbol used by many writers to grasp the imagination of their readers. The poem I chose to write about is "Geology of Water" by Marianne Moore (Not sure if this is the correct author, the paper did not print well). This was the first poem read by the class and it grabbed my attention from the beginning. The vivid images and use of detail had me hooked and really gave me a good vision of what the author was attempting to describe. Out of the first couple poems assigned to the class this was my favorite one.

"If I bend closer I can hear him drown, a man made out of water whose words arise like bubbles to the surface: something survives in every carbonaceous molecule" (Lines 14-18). This means to me that when we are dying, we make the most of our last breathes and the meaning behind our words will survive even after we are gone. This also sparked a question to myself as I was reading this poem because how can a man drown if he is made out of water? I loved this small passage and really enjoyed thinking about the meaning behind it.

"Evolution croons its single song, come out of the sea, my love, to me, and never adds, and drown knee-deep in air." (Lines 24-27). This was by far my favorite line in the entire poem because it has so many meanings and just sounds awesome at the same time. One interpretation was that humans in a way evolved to get out of the water, but still drown and die in the air. It also has a darker feeling to the way it is portrayed. As if "Evolution" is tricking the human race to come to this glorious place and evolve, but when they get there they see it is not what they expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment